Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hey, I got fans!

Marty McKee, whose blog you will see among the links to your right, has graciously awarded The Horn Section with the prestigious Dardo award for, as stated, "excellence in blogging and offered in recognition of cultural, ethical, literary and personal values transmitted in the form of creative and original writing."

I am humbled and honored, and sincerely thank Mr. McKee for this recognition, and in the spirit of this award, I'd like to name some other bloggers who are on my must-read list. I should note that most are more industrious than yours truly, in some cases blogging multiple times per day!

Aaron Neathery's The Third Banana

I am fascinated by films from all eras, and Mr. Neathery focuses on often-overlooked comedians from the 1930's and 1940's and sometimes even reaches back to the silent era. One of my favorites that he's highlighted is the great Leon Errol. At some point I'm hoping to complete a book-length biography on Mr. Errol, whose classic RKO shorts are sadly seldom aired these days.

Ivan Shreve's Thrilling Days of Yesteryear

Great stuff here daily. Mr. Shreve watches TCM even more often than I do, and I've probably learned about more DVD releases for television favorites here than anywhere else.

Jaime J. Weinman's Something Old, Something New

As a big WKRP fan myself, a highlight of Weinman's site is an ongoing series of episode reviews of this sometimes overlooked 1978-1982 CBS classic complete with video links.

Big Media Vandalism

Multiple contributors here. Odienator's Black History Mumf special from February 2008 is especially recommended reading, with fantastic reviews of Coming to America, Blazing Saddles, Bustin' Loose and a tribute to Horn Section favorite Diana Sands included.

Past Interference

Finally, I don't blog about it here, but I am a big Miami Dolphins fan, and have written articles for other sites. Currently, you'll find me posting at Phins Central, linked at right. At Past Interference Jeff and Rob offer very entertaining and well researched opinions on the 42 year history of my favorite sports team, including a very interesting four parter on the decision that the team faced at the turn of the 1980's: David Woodley, or Guy Benjamin?

Happy reading, and congrats to all!

1 comment:

odienator said...

Hal, Thanks for the award! I hope this year lives up to the new pressure I face as a result!

Says you're in Irving. I'm here too, working until Saturday. You've probably walked right past me. Nah, you would have known it was me, with my enormous aura of Soul.